Main Menu
WSOP 2005
The Report
The Final
2001 WSOP
2002 WSOP
2003 WSOP
2004 WSOP
Latest WSOP
Top of Page
Top of Page
  | Home   | Index   | Info   | This Week   | Poker   | News   | Email
World Series Of Poker
 Editor's Reports
June 2, 2005 – July 15, 2005

The Editor in
Las Vegas
Day 3 - Through the bubble
11th July 2005

Midday on the third real day of play was a moment much longer than it should have been. With 569 players left we were at the "bubble". This is the stage in a tournament that is reached when the next few players to go out do so without recieving any prize money, the 560 finishers being rewarded in this tournament. Sixty full tables were forced to play hand-for-hand, meaning no table could progress onto the next deal until every table in the tournament had finished their hand, thus ensuring equal play to all players in danger of exiting.

Play started late for this tortuous period which had the tension raising the roof as each table signified the completion of the hand by the dealer standing to attention so that the tournament controller could see that everyone had finished their play. Each hand took at least 6 minutes and a 45 minute late start meant that the "bubble man", Carl Ygborn, exited at 14:45. The pain of the ordeal for the poor man was relieved by Harrahs, the company that owns the Rio and the World Series, donating him a seat in nex years event, worth $10,000!
Art at the WSOP 2005

After the hand-for-hand torture, 50 minutes was put back on the clock so as not to disadvantage the players under the threat of ever increasing blinds and antes. From this point onwards in the tournament, where every player was now in the money, all electronic devices like IPods and phones were banned. People like Phil Ivey had to give up their trademark ghetto blaster headphones that isolated them from their surroundings.

Tension fell away after the bubble was passed but this only accelerated the rate of players' demise from the tournament. All the short stacked players now, and correctly, attacked hands with what little chips they had left. The biggest story of the day was the progress of the defending World Champion Greg Raymer who steadily built his chips into a final Day 3 chip lead.

Over at the Bellagio a $1000 tournament amounted to $200,000 prize fund. British player Bruce Bravery made it to the final nine with a very low stack of chips. To his delight players busted themselves out against the chip leaders until when five left he got all-in with his pair of threes. The caller was Phil Hellmuth who turned over K-K, way in front. An extra sweet flop produced a three and Bruce more than doubled through to be in position to deal. A split was arranged and $25,000 was on its way back to Bournemouth. "Brilliant", said Bruce, "Ibrought my family along for this trip and now its all free!".

Back at the Rio, in the corner of the main hall, event #43 started, the $1500 No-limt holdem event. Marcel Luske and Eric Seidel found themselves on the last two tables after 831 starters had narrowed down to 18 players. Play continues tomorrow.

Play continued until 01:10 when there were 185 players left. Chips Day 3. Pictures from today Day 3. Players who made it to the Prize list.

Next days report
Home | Index | Links | Information | Film Review | Columns | Diary | News | This Week | Email
Lotteries | Casino Gambling | Games | Betting | Equipment | Spotlight | Book Review | Glossary | Advice

This document maintained by GGGwebmaster.
Material Copyright © 2000 - 2012

Ed's Reports
T-7 T-6
T-5 T-4
T-3 T-2
T-1 Day 1A
Day 1B Day 1C
Day 2 Day 3
Day 4 Day 5
Day 6 Final
T-7 T-6
T-5i T-5ii
T-4 T-3
T-2 T-1
Day 1A Day 1B
Day 1C Day 2
Day 3 Day 4
Day 5 Day 6
#11 #12 #13
#14 #15 #16
#17 #18 #19
#20 #21 #22
#23 #24 #25
#26 #27 #28
#29 #30 #31
#32 #33 #34
#35 #36 #37